Sunday, April 15, 2012

Give me a NY blizzard any day!

OK, so I know it's Sunday and I should be posting this weeks sample, but I am in Wichita, Kansas and the sample is on my home computer. I cannot wait to get back to Albuquerque!! I do not plan on coming back anytime soon! Arrival was uneventful despite the warnings from everyone you spoke to, Kansas was in for some rough weather, lol! It was a beautiful sunny day when Evan picked me up from the airport. I had Saturday all planned out, to visit two local craft stores here. Saturday I woke up to overcast skies & wind. Turn on the TV and there are tornado warnings. Decided to scrap my plans to shop when they said that there was a 90% chance of a tornado hitting Wichita, I was staying right here on base. There was talk of cancelling the awards ceremony which is why I was here! So the day was spent watching & waiting. Fortunately our unit was a tornado safe shelter, in the bathroom. Of course the estimated arrival of the tornado kept changing. The commander decided we had time to hold the banquet which was downtown at the Hyatt. So several hundred people arrived in their mess dress uniforms and spouses in their finest. It was so weird being closed off from the world in one of the ballrooms, of course many people had their cell phones under the table keeping up on things. Colonel Mason began the proceedings by saying they were going to move quickly so everyone could get out of there which he did.
We drive back to base just as the rains begin and the sirens start blaring, get out of our party clothes and start packing everything. Fill the bathroom with essentials and are glued to the TV. It was amazing how they were tracking the eye of the tornado, and estimating when it would hit. Of course one minute it's heading directly towards the base, then it shifts and barely misses the base, then back on track for the base. You get the picture! Then the TV would go black and a message would state that the tornado is on base and to take cover. Then the news, that it shifted slightly. This went on for about an hour, the longest hour of my life!
Anyway, the tornado shifted slightly, did not hit base but was so close that the road leading to base was closed this morning. Now I hope our flight is able to take off, get me out of Kansas!
Well, the plan is to see you all Tuesday, will try to remember to post sample tomorrow, if I forget you will have to forgive me,
.

No comments:

Post a Comment